Sunday, September 26, 2010

Three Weeks to Go...

It seems surreal to think we leave for Africa in 3 weeks! Much has happened over the past two weeks. Mark and I resigned from our jobs, we sold my car, and we've begun prioritizing our "stuff" and our lives to maximize what time we have left with family and friends before the big day we leave for Africa! :) Next week we will begin renting our storage unit so I am sure things will begin to move along quickly from there!

We've also begun communicating with our team leaders in Rundu, Namibia. Rob and his wife, Alissa (and their 7 kids!) have been wonderful in easing our hearts and giving us much needed peace in the preparations for our journey. Since speaking with them we've been able to see God working and molding our opportunities for our time in Africa! Since speaking with Rob, we've seen Mark's ministry opportunities blossom from mentoring children through soccer to possibly teaching computer classes in the schools and setting up computers at the hospital for medical and administrative purposes! This is a real need in Rundu since they have had trouble finding anyone locally with the expertise to do the set up and training. The hospital is a 350 bed hospital and it will be a great blessing and a lasting impact to bring the gift and knowledge of computers to the staff. As far as myself, I have been daydreaming about my times in Zimbabwe 5 years ago remembering the nursing, the people, the food, and the memories. :) I am more than excited to begin my time as a nurse in the hospital in Namibia! I also have learned in talking with Rob that I will have an opportunity to spend time in the village clinics - hopefully providing medical care and teaching - something I am very passionate about! And as far as everything else goes, we will play it by ear!!

This weekend Mark and I were able to go to a conference in Jersey called Thirst. It was an amazing opportunity to hear from many Christian speakers and rock out to the best band I've heard recently - Gungor. It was a great day to spend with friends and be able to reflect on the journey ahead of us. Mark and I are continually remembering to embrace a servant's heart and are praying that God will use us in Namibia any way He sees fit. 

Today after church at Riverbend, our friends planned a surprise lunch for us! What a great time to relax and laugh together. On the ride home, Mark and I were saying how we really feel our Riverbend friends are now our family... family that we are going to miss dearly while in Africa. 
We have felt truly blessed with the outpouring of financial support friends and family have given us over the past few weeks. Thank you! Thank you for desiring to partner with us on this mission trip. It has been very humbling and uplifting to us. As of now, we are a little more than half way there! :)  Please continue to pray for this need.

As for the week ahead? I am presently smiling ear to ear because I get to spend a few more days with my sister and her boyfriend Jeremiah! They used up most of the vacation time to come see us before we depart, and because of that they won't be coming home to NJ for the holidays. I feel it was such a sacrifice for them, and of course they don't see it that way, but I do want to say THANK YOU! I've been blessed to have the most amazing sister and friend in my life and will be cherishing the last few days I have with her before she flies back to her home in Key West (I know, Key West!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment