Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Rundu State Hospital!

One of the roads on a walk into town
Well, I've now worked one week in Casualty at the hospital. The nurses I've worked with have been very welcoming and funny too! Mainly, I've worked with Aina, Rebecca, Junius and Justin. Currently, I'm working Monday to Friday 8am - 1pm. Seems like a short shift- but I am very thankful for it since it is taking lots of adjusting to the heat, the 30 minute walk in sand there and back :), the language barrier, and the different diseases/treatments/medications etc.
I'm slowly learning the daily routines and have become more able to jump in and help even though most of the patients I cannot talk to! The nurses have been great translating for me, but I am eager to continue to learn the language so I can be more efficient. It is amazing though how far a gentle smile and a loving touch can go even with the communication barrier. :)
Right now, I am still waiting for my official papers to come from the Namibia government so I can practice as a nurse. Currently, I am able to assist the nurses and do "non-invasive" procedures - but would love to become more hands on when possible. If you can, please pray for my papers to come though without a hitch, and soon!
There have been some differences here in Namibia from home in the States in regards to medical and nursing care, but I am trying to have an open mind and a learning heart- because this is Africa!! Even though I was a nurse in Zimbabwe, it is easy once returning home to lose sight of our blessings in regards to advancements in medical care and start complaining about the "little things." I am once again reminded of how fortunate we are back home.
One amazing thing is that Casualty nurses in Namibia have much more freedom in thinking with a "medical" mind. Basically, Casualty is broken down into many different areas all with long queues. :) Each patient waits in line to see a doctor and then have a determined treatment. Patients can go from seeing the doctor to getting X-ray and then back to the doctor for re-evaluation and then home (for example) without seeing a nurse or laying in a bed. If however, a patient is too ill to sit and wait in a queue for a doctor they come straight to Casualty ward (where I work). There the nurses can assess, make a diagnosis, treat, and then wait for re-evaluation of a doctor when he makes rounds or if a patient is sick enough, they will call the doctor straight away. I am learning so much here, and am excited to share more as time goes on.

4 comments:

  1. Hello Moyers!
    Everything you have posted so far seems so amazing! I'm so glad you chose to blog during your time away. It makes you seem like you're not quite so far away :o( WE MISS YOU!!! We are praying for you and hope your papers will come through soon!
    Lots of Love!
    The Barkanic Family

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, guys. Miss you so much!!! Hope to talk with you soon--we have skype now and we would LOVE to talk with you- hope we can find a good time. Thanks for all the updates, so glad things are going well, praying for you. LOVE YOU BOTH!! Kari (matt and owen, too)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of you guys! Loving the posts and pictures...
    ~Gary & Audra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Guys!

    Thane is sleeping and I finally have a chance to catch up on your journey - a month later! How horrible? Sounds like everything is going well and you are enjoying everything about your mission!

    Jules, I'm so glad you have been able to look at Thane's pictures on FB. I can't believe he will be 7 weeks on Saturday! It is going so fast! He's now 9 lb and is smiling, laughing, working on holding up his head, can hold a toy for a short period of time and is sleeping a good 6 hours at night! Yay!

    Enjoy reading your posts and think of you both all the time!

    Love you!

    Beck, Brent and Thane :)

    ReplyDelete