Thursday, February 10, 2011

At Least I Haven't “Fallen off the Calendar” Yet!


Turning 30 in Africa was something I've been thinking about since we celebrated Mark's 30th the day before we left for Namibia. I learned while being here that people refer to being old as when you “fall off the calendar”... as in when you turn 32. If your birthday can be found on a day in a month on the calendar (1-31) you are still a young-en and don't need to worry about a thing. SO, in African standards, I've got another 2 years to be considered young... :)

Myself with Alysse, Laura, & McKenzie!
We started off the day with our weekly Bible study in a mud church in the village in the morning. Afterwards, we biked into town to splurge on an ice cream cone and Mark even bought me a new shirt! (My first frivolous purchase since getting here!) That night Mark and I got together with our friends Laura, Alysse, Mckenzie, & David to celebrate at a local lodge. I ordered an amazing “fillet” steak and ate looking out at the stunning Kavango River over sunset. It was so nice to have a relaxing night out with friends. I even got a few gifts... a head wrap, some chocolate, and 2 homegrown zucchini! Turning 30 in Africa was simple and fun... just the way I like it! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment